Finding ways to smile

Autumn means gorgeous roses in Mudgee. After some nice rain in the last month my garden has sprung back to life with brilliant roses and some unexpected surprises.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Floribunda rose “Mardi Gras”

Rose “Mardi Gras” is a stand-out for repeat flowering , longevity of blooms and lovely colour changes as the blooms age, from vibrant orange/yellow to soft pinks with a hint of sunset. If it had a fragrance it would be unbeatable.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
“Pope John Paul II”

“Pope John Paul II” is an exquisite, luscious rose with a heavenly fragrance. A hint of creamy-yellow at the base of the petals (this photo doesn’t quite capture that) adds a subtle beauty to the blooms.

The blooms on most of my roses aren’t quite perfect this year – a legacy of a summer of extreme drought, heatwaves, and week upon week of bushfire smoke and dust storms. But the plants are going gangbusters, showing their appreciation of the recent rain.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Blue Moon

My “Blue Moon” isn’t in an ideal position- too shaded to really be happy- but it’s flowering beautifully and its fragrance doesn’t suffer from the less than ideal conditions.

Here’s “Princess de Monaco”.  Another fragrance superstar and sublime in its soft beauty. Its buds are particularly gorgeous.

There have been some other nice little surprises too. In particular, finally, flowers on my snail creeper!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Snail creeper

I’ve been trying to grow this from seed, for a couple of years. It dies back completely during winter, then the leaves reappear in spring and it starts climbing! This is the first time it’s flowered. Hallelujah! The flowers come in the colours of a winter sunset and are beautifully fragrant, changing colour as they age from creamy white to purple and then yellow. Discovering it in flower this afternoon absolutely made me smile.

9 Comments Add yours

1. tonytomeo says:

‘Pope John Paul II’ is rad!; but I was not aware of the creamy center. I sort of remember it being described as an ‘ivory’ white, but was told by those who grow it that it is pure white like ‘John F. Kennedy’. I prefer ‘John F. Kennedy’ anyway, just because of the form. I know some flowers get streaked, but I don’t mind. ‘Pope John Paul II’ still gets my attention in other people’s gardens, even if it really has a creamy center.

1. My Dream Garden says:

One person’s creamy centre may be another person’s pure white…The petals in the main are a very pure white and the densely packed petals look absolutely luscious- like whipped cream…

1. tonytomeo says:

When I grew rhododendrons, there were hundreds of cultivars, but only two were what would be classified as pure white. All the others were striped, spotted, blotched, or otherwise unpure. There were none that I disliked, regardless.

2. My Dream Garden says:

I’m not familiar with John F Kennedy- I’ll have to look it up.

1. tonytomeo says:

Well, it is not for everyone. It happens to be my favorite because white is my favorite color, and I really like hybrid tea roses. The color is about as pure white as a rose gets, but can be almost imperceptibly streaked with red. I have not seen it do so since I was a kid; but it is something that rose enthusiasts dislike about it. I think they just dislike hybrid tea roses.

2. My Dream Garden says:

I’ll check out JFK! I’m becoming a fan of hybrid tea roses- David Austins look lovely in books but I think in my garden it’s the hybrid teas that really are the stars, especially the fragrant ones.

3. tonytomeo says:

Really?! Goodness. I get so much flack for preferring the (now old fashioned) hybrid tea roses that were so popular when I was a kid. They happen to do very well in the Santa Clara Valley. Their main problem is that no one knows how to prune them anymore, and so-called ‘gardeners’ just shear them with power hedge shears like everything else within their reach. I think that David Austin roses are less demanding, and will still bloom reasonably well even if overgrown and distressed. I just do not like them. Actually, I think they are rather silly excuses for roses. Besides all that, I really dislike fads. Carpet roses are even worse. (Although, they are grown more for must ambient color rather than individual flowers.) Even though they perform well if cut to the ground annually in winter (and are not grafted to come back as rootstock), so-called ‘gardeners’ ruin them ANYWAY. They do not cut them to the ground, but leave a wicked shorn thicket of nastiness where every pathogen that afflicts them overwinters. When the canes try to emerge and bloom, the so-called ‘gardeners’ just shear all the canes off, doing everything they can to deprive the roses of their bloom, but maintain all their worst qualities. Wow, sorry about the rant.

2. That climber is amazing. I have never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing. Mel

1. My Dream Garden says:

Thanks Mel! It’s really beautiful.

Please leave a comment, and follow or subscribe via email!