Colour-filled garden in a rocky mountain hideaway

A surprisingly vibrant garden sits high on the rocky slope of Mount Knowles, surrounded by the tough eucalypt and cypress forest perfectly adapted to survive Mudgee’s hot, dry climate.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Vicki’s and Arthur’s bright, colourful garden on their property, Avlac Hills, is an oasis in a landscape dominated by the subtle greys, greens and browns of the native bush.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Water features dotted here and there, soften the effect of late spring sunshine.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A pond and waterfall create a picturesque focal point on one of the sloping garden beds.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Like most successful gardeners, Vicki has thickly mulched the garden beds in readiness for summer.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

These gorgeous roses are worth all the hard work!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

How stunning is this Mr Lincoln specimen!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was delighted to see this white hybrid tea rose with its glossy, dark green leaves- so different to the more popular Iceberg- straight out of a fairy tale…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Being a fan of “white” gardens, I do love this bed of white trailing roses surrounding a weeping cherry.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Continuing the theme, this white-on-white display also looks fantastic.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The rich colour of these roses is sumptuous.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

With limited water, there will always be drier areas of the garden. Here, the bright, summery gazania and oleander help make the transition from the lush rose gardens towards the surrounding paddocks and bush.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Vicki even finds time to look after lovely bright pots of flowers close to the house.

To finish, here is a selection of some of Vicki’s other splendid roses.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of this garden as it develops over the years.

12 Comments Add yours

1. Do they rely on rainwater? They have an amazing garden if they do…we have had so little of it for a long time. A gorgeous garden. Ta, Mel

1. My Dream Garden says:

Hi Mel, good question, Vicki and Arthur do have a river licence. Jane

2. My Dream Garden says:

Hi Mel, Vicki and Arthur do have a river water licence which would definitely help!

1. Yes, definitely!

2. tonytomeo says:

Do you happen to know what the white hybrid tea rose is? John F. Kennedy is my favorite, but is increasingly difficult to find.

1. My Dream Garden says:

Hi Tony, I don’t know but will find out and let you know. It was so lovely to see- it’s much more common for people around our way to grow icebergs.

1. tonytomeo says:

Iceberg seems to be too common in many regions. I get sort of annoyed by it in the Plaza downtown. Something more distinguished would have been in order.

2. tonytomeo says:

You certainly do not need to go out of your way to identify the rose.

3. My Dream Garden says:

Hi Tony, I don’t know if you saw my reply that I posted this morning, maybe it got lost. Vicki says it’s Pope John Paul II. I am definitely going to plant one.

4. tonytomeo says:

Oh yes. I just replied to the reply like I am replying to this reply. tee hee

2. My Dream Garden says:

Hi Tony, Vicki thinks it is Pope John Paul II. I’m definitely planting one at my place. Right next to Mr Lincoln I think- they will look stunning together. Jane

1. tonytomeo says:

That would make sense. It seemed a bit fluffier than ‘John F. Kennedy’, but I do not see either very often. Although I prefer the flowers of ‘John F. Kennedy’, Pope John Paul II’ blooms more prolifically, makes prettier (less angular) flowers, and has a softer foliar texture.

Please leave a comment, and follow or subscribe via email!